Our company, NLB Furniture, used Embroco's web services to perform some website maintenance and create a custom landing page for an E-Blast. We had a terrific experience. Joel was timely, helpful, and went above and beyond in his work. We had a short time frame in which to complete the project, but despite problems which arose due to weather, he met the deadlines and provided a great end result. We loved working with him and would absolutely recommend him to companies and individuals in need of web expertise! Thank you, Joel!
Sammy Co | International Christian Academy We greatly appreciate Joel for doing an excellent job on our website. We highly recommend him.
Warren Jones | Florida Specialties Excellent job. Could not be happier with the final product!
Giancarlos Castano | United Way “Working with Embroco has been an amazing experience, their design exceeded my expectations, and their customer service is unique and pleasant.”
David Evans | Evans Insurance Group Joel, with Embroco, has been there from start to finish. He made everything a pleasant and stress-free experience. His professionalism and the quality of the website build exceeded all of my expectations! If you are looking for a website build or someone to manage your site, please contact Joel at Embroco! I promise that you will not be disappointed!
Brian Porter | Broker Frameworks These guys are top notch to work with. Highly recommend.
1. The absolute worst mistake that I have seen small businesses make in my years as a web consultant in is to never get around to setting up a good website. They fall back on one of many excuses, the foremost is, "word of mouth is what drives my business.” "Word of mouth” and running a great business is what keeps you in business, but it doesn't change the fact that most folks looking for products or services are going to go straight to google. The stats for local business search are undeniably compelling. Local businesses more easily rank well for local search with an optimized website. And with your own website (depending on which option you go with) you have total control of their engagement and user experience, which brings us to the second catastrophic mistake that just breaks my marketing heart.
Action Point: Get a Website (but not before finishing this article)
2. The second worst mistake is thinking, "It’s enough to just have a good facebook page.” Facebook is a great tool for brand awareness and creating some engagement with your product. It is not a replacement for a website. For sure it is much better than having nothing, but facebook and other social media tools are much too confining and limited in what they accomplish for businesses. Also, you have no control of the decisions they may make in the future. This was a lesson I learned years ago as an eBay seller. On a whim, they could change the parameters that could totally change your chances of doing successful business. When a person finds you in search engine land, and they have the option of clicking to learn more about you and your products or services, almost all would prefer to click to a website and not a social media page. And you would much prefer that as well because you have control of what kind of content they will see, how it is structured, and want action points you would like them to take as a result of coming to your website.
Action point: Keep your facebook page and get a great website built for you or take the time to learn how to create one for yourself.
3. The third mistake that I often see is using a "cheap" website builder or simple drag and drop website builder. This one hits close to home for me as a website builder and consultant, because I see some businesses go this route after finding out that there is a cost of having a website built for you. And in contrast, many of my happy clients tried this route before deciding to partner with Embroco to achieve their business goals. Many if not all of their pain points in setting up their web presence are not only eliminated but are transformed into excitement as they see the results that were previously elusive. When you hire a professional, they have access directly to "the code", and all of it, thus you are no longer confined to the limitations of "safe and simple" website builder application. Using these DIY services might be acceptable for the hobbyist or a simple blogging site, but for a serious business, hiring someone who really knows how to optimize a site for results both for search engine and in user experience, makes all the difference between success and failure. Website marketing firms build and optimize websites every day, know best practices, and have insights that the business owners typically just don't have time to acquire. I have seen some pretty decent attempts by zealous go-getter types. But the astronomical amount of time that they spent trying to achieve a good looking site leave me thinking, “was it really worth it.” And having a pretty site doesn't mean that your site is optimized for success in a world where your competition online is steadily getting more fierce. Having said that, it noteworthy to mention that there are a few DIY website builders that have have the flexibility and power to make a great website. However, for the best results, I still would recommend hiring a designer with marketing experience to build your site.
Action Point: Hire the right Professional Web Design Firm
4. The next mistake that kills your results is never taking the time to maintain and add fresh content to their site or not hiring someone to do it for them. In order to thrive and not just survive when it comes to ranking well on google, you must have a reason for people visiting your site. Not just once but you would like folks to come back and visit from time to time. Create a valuable resource for your clients. Answer questions. Search engines look for helpful original unique insightful written content. Give incentives, promotions, and knowledge and try to make it interesting or even entertaining. One thing that I have learned working in web consulting over the years is that: "Getting content from business owners is harder than pulling teeth!" There are a lot of reasons and excuses for this, but I believe that the main one is that writing is hard work. It is true that no one knows your business like you do and your insight for delivering good content would be invaluable, however, if you never get around to doing it, you would be much better off hiring someone else to do it. The payoff is that once great content has been created, it is done and it will continue to reap benefits in the future.
Action Point: Maintain and create content or hire someone to do it.
5. The fifth mistake that I want to touch on can be a very costly one, Hiring the wrong web design firm for the wrong reasons. The world of web browsers, code, search engines and aggressive start-ups with big ideas is exciting and rapidly evolving. I am going to list a few things to look out for when looking to hire a web design firm.
1. Don’t hire a firm just because they have been around the longest. This may seem like a viable reason, but I have seen large established firms that are still producing websites that are not optimized for mobile devices with code elements dated by 5-10 years.
2. Don’t hire a firm just because they charge the most. Also, they don't give a reasonable justification for the astronomical prices. Having a website built for you should be like a trip to the ER. We practice complete transparency with our pricing from the very beginning. It should be simple, this is how much it costs, this is why.
3. Carefully consider the Content Management System that the firm is connecting to the code of their website. This can be a really big issue once a site has gone live. It is absolutely vital that you have a clear understanding of how easy or not it is to maintain and make changes to your site.
4. Don’t hire a mega-firm that sends much of their work abroad which can cause communication issues and may not be accessible to fix things quickly and accurately. This is a temptation for every web-developer. Hire abroad, manage, take the profits off the top, and retire now. This scenario is problematic in too many ways to mention in this article.
Action Point: Hire a small to midsized firm that uses current best design practices, practices fair pricing with transparency, builds in a powerful content management system, and is dedicated to customer service so you have a real person you can call up and talk to immediately.
6. The final blow that deflates the online potential of any local business is a failure to invest in local marketing tools. For the amount of “seo juice” and traffic that these services provide, they are well worth the meager investment. A beautiful and optimized website is the foundation for success, but in today's competitive online atmosphere, it is just not enough. Most competent web firms will offer to incorporate these services for a one-time fee or small recurring fee to keep these vital marketing engines optimized. Businesses can take advantage of websites such as MOZ Local or BrightLocal and use some of their very helpful tools for free or take advantage of their paid services. Keep in mind that some web-firms may already have access to the more advanced tools offered by these local marketing applications, and have experience in implementing and optimizing your results. What do these sites offer? They maximize your presence in two main areas: Citations (listing your site on online directories) and providing monitoring and Analytics. The other key factor that needs to be actively pursued is getting and monitoring online reviews. Marketing firms can help with this, but the easiest way to accomplish it is to just ask your favorite clients to write you a 5-star review.
Action Point: Use local marketing tools or hire your web-firm to set this up for you. At the very least utilize this strategy for a few months.
I genuinely hope that this article was helpful and helps bring your dreams to fruition.
Local Search engine marketing is a mix of marketing strategies applied to your website and other online channels with the goal that it is found in the highest position possible of Google, Bing and Yahoo for searches that are related to your local area.